Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentines Day: Pop tarts and pie crusts

Treated the kids this morning to some delicious strawberry pop tarts! Had to substitute blackberry jelly for strawberry, but all in all very good. As Pina says, "Nutella Tarts are a homerun mom!" Thanks babe

I also took the time to make my own pie crust instead of using store bought (since we are processed free over here). One, why did no one tell me it was so easy to make pie crust? Two, why did no one tell me that it tastes a hundred times better?!

Here is How I Made Pie Crust (enough for one crust):

  • 1 cup all purpose flour (will try again with whole wheat next time)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1tsp sugar (no recipe called for this, but as Mary Poppings says "A spoonful of sugar...")
  • 6 tbls cold cubed butter
  • 1/4 cup cold water
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and add the butter. Now you could throw this all into a food processor and pulse into a yummy sand texture with rocks. Or, and I find this method easier, get your hands dirty and squeeze it all together. Squeeze, squeeze, squeeze! Once you have mixed the butter and dry ingredients into a coarse sand and then gradually add the cold water. I would start with half the water and then see if you need anymore. You want the batter to hold together but not be too sticky. Now you are done and have a delicious croissant like crust! Just roll it out nice and thin. Using a dusting of flour to keep it from sticking.

Tricks to rolling: 

Use a sandwich of wax paper or parchment and keep flipping your dough over as you roll. Flip, remove paper from both sides, roll, flip, remove paper from both sides, repeat until you have your desired thickness. For a more circular shape roll outwards from the center; top, side, other side, bottom. 

Happy Valentines Day!


The Mandatory Mooch
Linking for the 1st time!! Mandatory Mooch

Monday Funday Link Party 

3 comments:

  1. I am SO impressed with that strawberry heart! YUM! Thanks for sharing and for linking up to Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie, actually your blog is one of my first to start reading and inspired me to start writing down what I was already doing. Thanks for having a link party!!

      Delete
  2. Thank you I have new fun recipes to share!

    ReplyDelete