Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Green Chili Stew on Our Last Christmas


So we finally got to celebrate Christmas this past weekend and it was lovely! Like so much fun, laughing crying, opening presents, trashing the house, spilling wine, tons of dishes, smiles and hearts warmed enough for the whole year, FUN. It makes me think that my brothers and I don't get together often enough. I know we all get busy with our own lives and then our children's lives but my brothers live close enough that we should make more of a point to get together, at least once a month.

We exchanged gifts for the kids and we always do a name drawing for the adults. My one sister in law gets me every year (hard when there is only six of us) and always makes me cry with her gift. See above the plate she had made for me. She had my mother write out her secret oatmeal cookie recipe and then had it put on a big cookie plate. It is awesome! My mom has such distinctive handwriting that I knew it right away and started blubbering like a baby while everyone laughed at me for crying. I have turned into such a cry baby since bubbie (my 1st boy).

Oh well but onto the menu: Green Chili Stew, left over tamales, Mac & Cheese (Stouffers
brought by my SIL) and a Salad (brought by my other SIL). Now a side note on the stew, my brother recently had a bought with thyroid cancer. So he is on a low iodine diet which did influence parts of this recipe, but everyone said that it was my best batch yet!

 Green Chili Ingredients:

  • 2 whole pork tenderloin cubed
  • 2 cups Hatch Green chili diced (this is a special New Mexican chile but I have seen people sub out roasted plablanos mixed with jalapenos)
  • 1 whole white onion, diced
  • 2 baking potatoes, diced and skins removed (this is part of the low iodine diet)
  • 2 tbls Olive Oil
  • 3 tbls flour
  • 3 tbls ground coriander
  • 2 tbls dried oregano
  • 1 tsp salt and more to taste (look for the no iodine added)
  • 1 tbls whole coriander
  • Water or chicken stock to cover


Cube your meat, then cover with the flour, coriander, oregano and a tsp or so of salt. 



Resulting in this delicious meat, weird look. 
PS I do mine in a plastic bag. It's easier to clean and well, fun to shake up a bag of meat. Allows me to let the kids help too. Set this aside while you dice up the large onion. 


Here is a great tutorial on how to dice an onion! Take a minute and explore this site too if you need a brush up on anything cooking or just want to know how to break down a whole chicken. 
Throw the diced onions in the pot with the olive oil and just start to bring the temp up. Maybe 2-5 minutes. Then add your meat just to brown it, not cook it thru. Add your green chilies. Now I had to clean mine and dice them, but some companies have them pre diced and pre cleaned. Once all this is combined give it a good stir and add your water or chicken stock. I couldn't use chicken stock because of the iodine in the salt they use so I added two 32 oz containers of water (it will cook down a bunch, I would use less chicken stock like one box and then add water as needed). Also add your whole coriander now. You should end up with a big pot of this...



Bring it to a boil and then let this simmer for about two hours. Give her a taste and see if she needs more salt, water (I would not add more stock if I started with stock, watch your salt in take). Add your diced potatoes now and let this cook for one more hour. The longer this bad boy cooks the better it gets, but we usually go about three hours at the least.


Now please do not judge me on the above picture, or judge this delicious stew on it either. This is a horrible pic, well most of my pictures are. I use my iPhone and all the wrong angles. But mostly this time I totally forgot to take a picture and this small leftover bowl was all the was left at the end of the evening when I was cleaning up. I had to wrangle it out of my husbands hands before he heated it up for his midnight snack just so I could take this terrible picture. 

Just believe me, you will never be the same after this green chili stew!

linked up:
Designs by Gollum
The Pin Junkie
Serenity Now Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment