Monday, March 3, 2014

The Perfect Red Sauce

I think I might have perfected spaghetti sauce! Now if only my children actually liked red sauce on their spaghetti, but I will be ready when they do.  So we will make this one short and sweet, pictures and a delicious recipe. I started here, and expanded for our families taste, I mean my taste.


 The key here really is the simplicity of the ingredients. You can follow the original four ingredient recipe and that makes a pretty amazing sauce, but if you want complements from the neighbor kids that always eat dinner at your house, make it my way. In fact hire that kid to come to every meal because he always gobbles your food down. 


This time of season I am stuck with canned tomatoes. But they really work just as well, try and find organic if you can and look and make sure the packaging is BPA free. My in laws can tomatoes but I was all out of their yummy garden ones. 


Butter makes everything better.


Unless you are really into onions I remove any of the big pieces still floating about before I blend everything together. 


Fresh basil


Perfect sauce!


Only made better by the addition of sausage!

Perfect Red Sauce

(makes enough for one box of pasta and then some)

  • 1 yellow onion, cut in half skin removed
  • Three cloves garlic
  • 2 cans of whole tomatoes
  • Generous pinch of salt
  • 1 tbls of dried oregano
  • Ground pepper to taste 
  • 4 tbls of butter
  • Fresh basil
  • (Optional) half glass of good red wine
  • (Optional) Italian sausage 
This recipe is really so easy...cut your onion in half remove the skin and throw it in the pot. Now I like to grate one half a little bit to get some juices running (I do this in anything that calls for onions, I love the flavor of onion just not the bit of it). Do the same thing with the garlic, and again I grate one a little bit to get it going. Start your burner and open your tomato cans and dump them in. Stir everything and add your salt, oregano and pepper. Stir again and let it all simmer anywhere from 20 mins to an hour. It really depends on how much time you have to give to this sauce. It taste great made in 30 minutes it taste freaking amazing if made over two hours!!! But who really has that kind of time. 

So we'll assume 20 minutes for now... add your butter and stir it as it melts into the sauce. I remove the onions at this time, most of them have melted into the sauce so I really just grab the big pieces out. Now this next part is much easier if you have an immersion blender but if not you can do this in batches in a regular blender. But I highly recommend in investing in an immersion blender, I use mine for all kinds of things!! Ok blender everything together add your fresh basil and let it simmer till you are ready to serve, at least another ten minutes. 

This sauce is great for all kinds of pasta, we added italian sausage and wine to ours tonight to pour over rigatoni and of course I didn't take a picture of the final project because I was so hunger at this point that I gobbled my plate, my mister's leftovers and some of my hubs leftovers. SO YUMMY!!! It's the butter, just adds a really rich deep flavor! The wine is great to add if you have time to let the whole sauce cook down a bit so think at least another 20 minutes after blending. 

I hope this sauce is as much a hit for you as it is for our house. 

Linked up:

No comments:

Post a Comment